Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Sin Wedge

Yesterday, a friend wanted to talk to me about "stuff" that has been going on in his/her life. During the course of our conversation they began revealing to me sin issues that have been going on for quite some time now. They told me that they had been carrying this weight around, and had very few people to talk to. This person told me that they had not come to me sooner because they were afraid that I would be disappointed in them. The conversation prompted serveral feelings in me, but the strongest feeling I felt was anger. Not at the person, not at the sin. My anger was directed towards the "church" (when I say church I mean worldwide, not the body I fellowship with) The church has allowed people to be fake. They have almost encouraged Christians to be nice and pretty. The fact is, we all have junk in our closet. Most marriages struggle, many people have taken drugs, drank a few too many drinks, been involved in fornication....you name it, a Christian has done it. But instead of talking about our issues, repenting and finding freedom, we put our efforts into making sure no one finds out. The results we get from that are large bodies of people who meet together on Sundays all wondering what the people to the right and left of them would think if they really knew what was going on in their lives. Christ came to set us free, we are free indeed. So what if someone finds out that my friend struggles, odds are there are many more just like him/her. The sad part of this issue is, with my friend, and with many others is that sin puts a wedge in our relationships. Not only do we deal with the shame of our sin, but we deal with that shame alone. So the enemy gets two points instead of just one, by separating us from our brothers and sisters in Christ.

3 comments:

Occidental gazing Oriental said...

Good post.

We American Christians have a problem , we want the world and Christ too. Christianity is still in vogue in America, although it appears to be on the way out (of course this is slower in the South).

Confession is hard and we must confess to one another, which is even harder. I'm thankful to hear of one sinner revealing the condition of their heart.

As we keep to ourselves we move one step closer to hell (which is super individualism).

Heaven is found in union.

"I have given them your word, and the world has hated them because they are not of the world, just as I am not of the world." (John 17:14, ESV)

"“I do not ask for these only, but also for those who will believe in me through their word, that they may all be one, just as you, Father, are in me, and I in you, that they also may be in us, so that the world may believe that you have sent me. The glory that you have given me I have given to them, that they may be one even as we are one, I in them and you in me, that they may become perfectly one, so that the world may know that you sent me and loved them even as you loved me." (John 17:20-23, ESV)

I hope you get a chance to hear more confessions.

Anonymous said...

Great post, Bekky. I love the honesty of it....you're right, we are so fearful of what "others" would think. But those "others" are supposed to be like family to us, right? And how much easier it is to fall without the support God intended for us to have. Thanks for making me think this morning!

Anonymous said...

Hey Bekky! It's the long lost blonde from Indy. I've checked out your site from time to time to see pics of Eva. Hilary gave me your site address. Gosh, Eva is just beautiful. So much has gone on in all our lives since we last talked. But long story short: I'm doing great and it seems you are, too.

I just had to respond to this blog. You are so very perceptive/observant of the church today. I feel the same way....you were just able to put it into words. I feel the church I attend is pretty darned open and I've heard many people humble themselves when we have conversations .....or even open prayer time. I have felt so much more "normal" and relieved when I hear someone else confessing things they've done/aren't proud of. It makes it easier for me to say "Me, too."

But as for the rest of the Church worldwide, you nailed it.

Just wanted to say THANK YOU...I feel even more "normal" now.

If you ever need me or wanna write I'm at: KKsGraphicDesign@aol.com or Kristy@TheIntelligentDesignCompany.com (the Christian graphic design business I started). It's easier for me to be working at home with my 8 month old Ava. ha. :)

Sincerely,
Kristy (used-to-be-Reinhardt) Thomas